Follow

Michigan, Plymouth, Wayne Co.

1967 — Plymouth, England Boulder, Plymouth, MI
The Lord Mayor of Plymouth, England, came to celebrate the centennial of “sister city” Plymouth, MI and presented a boulder from Plymouth Harbor. It has a marker showing the Mayflower and has the dates 1620-1627.

Massachusetts, Truro, Barnstable Co.

Corn Hill Monument, Truro, MA1898 — Pilgrim Spring and Corn Hill Plaques, Truro, MA
Having arrived in Cape Cod Bay, it was here that the Pilgrims drank their first fresh water and discovered a buried cache of Indian corn which provided their first food ashore. The General Society of Mayflower Descendants placed a granite marker commemorating the event atop Corn Hill that reads “Corn Hill – 1620”. In 1900 the Society was deeded all rights to hold in trust of the 50’ x 50’ piece of land.

1920 Corn Hill Monument, Truro, MA
A large monument erected to commemorate the 1620 tercentenary is located at the bottom of the hill. The bronze plaque inscribed “ SIXTEEN PILGRIMS / LED BY / MYLES STANDISH  WILLIAM BRADFORD / STEPHEN HOPKINS AND EDWARD TILLEY / FOUND THE PRECIOUS INDIAN CORN / ON THIS SPOT WHICH THEY CALLED / CORN HILL / NOVEMBER 16, 1620 / ---- / AND SURE IT WAS GOD'S GOOD PROVIDENCE / THAT WE FOUND THIS CORN FOR ELSE WE / WOULD NOT KNOW HOW WE SHOULD HAVE DONE." The taking of the corn by the Pilgrims has led to modern day charges that they stole it and never made restitution to the Indians, a myth that has been disproven by the writings of a prime source, Pilgrim Edward Winslow. Next to the monument is another monument commemorating the longest free flight made August 18, 1929 from Corn Hill lasting 15 minutes and six seconds, surpassing that of Orville Wright at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.

Massachusetts, Salem, Essex Co.

Jane More Grave Stone, The Old Burying Point, Salem MA1676 — First Wife of Richard More Grave Stone, The Old Burying Point, Salem MA
The original grave stone of the first wife of the Pilgrim Richard More has a death's head beneath which is the Latin inscription translating to "today for me, tomorrow for you":
HODIE MIHI CRAS TIBI / CHRISTIAN WIFE / TO RICHARD MORE / AGED 60 YEARS / DECd MARCH Ye 18 / 1676



1686 — Jane More Grave Stone, The Old Burying Point, Salem MA
Jane, whose maiden name is unknown, was the widow Crumpton before marrying Richard More. The stone has a tympanum displaying a soul effigy and a border with figs and half moons on the finials. Punctuation given as on the stone. It reads: JANE . SECOND / WIFE . TO CAPT / RICHARD, MORE / SENR, AGED 55 / YEARS . DEPARTED / THIS LIFE Ye / 8 OF, OCTOBER / 1686




Pilgrim Richard More Grave Stone, The Old Burying Point, Salem MA1696 — Pilgrim Richard More Grave Stone, The Old Burying Point, Salem MA
This grave stone is significant because it is the only stone of a Mayflower passenger placed at the time of burial. It reads: HERE / LYETH BURIED / Ye BODY OF CAPT / RICHARD MORE / AGED 84 YEARS / DIED 1692 / A MAYFLOWER / PILGRIM. The erroneous date and "a Mayflower Pilgrim" are later additions. More was alive as of March 29, 1694 and "lately deceased" as of April 20, 1696.




1950 — Pilgrim Richard Moore Plaque, Salem, MA
A bronze plaque on stone reads: IN MEMORY OF / RICHARD MORE / ONLY MAYFLOWER PILGRIM TO SETTLE IN SALEM / HE WAS RECEIVED AN INHABITANT JAN.1.1637-38 / THIS TABLET MARKS THE SITE OF HIS / HOME AND WARF. / PLACED BY / COLONEL TIMOTHY PICKERING CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION / JUNE 14, 1950. / SPONSORED BY / MRS. AROLINE C. GOVE. There is a DAR logo in the lower left corner.

Massachusetts, Provincetown, Barnstable Co.

Pilgrim Monument, Provincetown, MA1910 — Pilgrim Monument, Provincetown, MA
In 1906 the General Society recommended that each State Mayflower Society contribute a suitably engraved stone for insertion in the proposed monument. President Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone in 1907, and on 5 August 1910 the completed 252' monument was dedicated by President William Howard Taft. It was then second in height only to the Washington Monument. The doorstep of the Eastham, MA, home of Plymouth Colony Governor (1634 and frequently thereafter) Thomas Prence is in the threshold of the west entrance. http://www.pilgrim-monument.org

1960 — Pilgrim Memorial Highway, Massachusetts
Twenty-one years after the General Society endeavored to promote plans for a "Pilgrim Memorial Parkway" from Marshfield to Provincetown, Massachusetts Route 3A was finally named "Pilgrims Highway" with the signing into law of a Bill by Governor Furculo.

 

 

 

 

 

Massachusetts, Fairhaven

John Cooke Plaque, Fairhaven MA1895 — John Cooke Plaque, Fairhaven MA
John Cooke was a son of Pilgrim Francis Cooke An inhabitant of Plymouth until 1659, he was owner of the land at Oxford as well as a resident of Fairhaven where he was the first white settler. He became a Representative to the General Court and a Baptist minister. He died about 1695, and is purported to be buried at Burial Hill [at Fairhaven]. The boulder is in Cook Memorial Park, Plymouth Avenue, Oxford, Poverty Point Area, Fairhaven, and, below an image of the Mayflower, reads: AD 1620 / SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF / JOHN COOKE / LAST SURVIVING MALE PILGRIM / OF THOSE WHO CAME OVER IN THE / MAYFLOWER / THE FIRST WHITE SETTLER OF THIS TOWN / AND THE PIONEER IN ITS RELIGIOUS / MORAL AND BUSINESS LIFE / A MAN / OF CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY / AND THE TRUSTED AGENT FOR THIS / PART OF THE COMMONWEALTH / OF THE OLD COLONIAL / CIVIL GOVERNMENT /OF PLYMOUTH

 

 

 

Massachusetts, Eastham, Barnstable Co.

First Encounter Beach Stone and Plaque, Eastham, MA1920 — First Encounter Beach Stone and Plaque, Eastham, MA
Up on a knoll at the north end of the beach is a boulder with an attached bronze plaque having a relief bust profile with helmet facing to the right (perhaps of Myles Standish) centered between scrolls at the top, that reads: ON THIS SPOT / HOSTILE INDIANS / HAD THEIR / FIRST ENCOUNTER / DECEMBER 8, 1620 / OLD STYLE / WITH / MYLES STANDISH  JOHN CARVER / WILLIAM BRADFORD  JOHN TILLEY / EDWARD WINSLOW  JOHN HOWLAND  / EDWARD TILLEY  RICHARD WARREN / STEPHEN HOPKINS  EDWARD DOTEY / JOHN ALLERTON  THOMAS ENGLISH / MASTER MATE CLARK  MASTER / GUNNER COPIN / AND THREE SAILORS / OF THE MAYFLOWER COMPANY / PROVINCETOWN TERCENTARY / 1620 COMMISSION 1920. See the 2001 entry for the more recent marker on the beach near the parking lot.

1966 — Lt. Joseph Rogers Boulder and Plaque, Cove Cemetery, Eastham MA
Joseph accompanied his father, Pilgrim Thomas Rogers, on the Mayflower. Placed by his Descendants.

1966 — Constance Hopkins Snow Boulder and Plaque, Cove Cemetery, Eastham MA
Constance, who came on the Mayflower, was a daughter of Pilgrim Stephen Hopkins. She married Nicholas Snow who came on the Anne. Placed by her Descendants.

1966 — Giles Hopkins Boulder and Plaque, Cove Cemetery, Eastham MA
Giles, who died in 1690, was a son of Pilgrim Stephen Hopkins. The plaque reads “GILES HOPKINS / 1607 – 1690 / MAYFLOWER PASSENGER / PLACED BY HIS DESCENDANTS / 1966”.

2001 — First Encounter Beach Plaque, Eastham MA
In early December 1620 while exploring the beach north of the mouth of Herring River in present Eastham on the Bay of Cape Cod to decide were to establish their settlement, "they heard a great and strange cry, which they knew to be the same voices in the night... and one of their company being abroad came running in and cried, 'Men, Indians! Indians!' And withal, their arrows came flying amongst them.' " A bronze tablet mounted on the beach reads: NEAR THIS SITE / THE NAUSET TRIBE / OF THE / WAMPANOAG NATION / SEEKING TO PROTECT THEMSELVES / AND THEIR CULTURE / HAD THEIR / FIRST ENCOUNTER / 8 DECEMBER 1620 / WITH / MYLES STANDISH, JOHN CARVER, / EDWARD WINSLOW, JOHN TILLEY, / EDWARD TILLEY, / JOHN HOWLAND, RICHARD WARREN, / STEPHEN HOPKINS, / EDWARD DOTEY, JOHN ALLERTON, / THOMAS ENGLISH, / MASTER MATE CLARK, / MASTER GUNNER COPIN, / AND THREE SAILORS / OF THE MAYFLOWER COMPANY / THIS TABLET PLACED 2001 BY THE SOCIETY OF COLONIAL WARS / IN THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS.

Massachusetts, Middleborough, Plymouth Co.

2005 — Rev. Samuel Fuller (Jr.) Plaque, First Congregational Church, Middleborough, MA
Rev. Samuel Fuller Ca. 1629-1695, son of the Pilgrim Samuel Fuller, was the first minister of the church. The plaque was dedicated by the Fuller Society.

2008 — Rev. Samuel Fuller (Jr.) Plaque, The Samuel Fuller School, First Congregational Church, Middleborough, MA
The Samuel Fuller School opened here in September 2008. Fuller Society members worshiped at the church and presented a plaque and donation to the Samuel Fuller School as part of the annual meeting festivities.

Massachusetts, Duxbury, Plymouth Co.

Alden House Historic Site, Duxbury, MA1670s — Alden House Historic Site, Duxbury, MA
The first part was probably built for Pilgrim John Alden’s son Jonathan after the son’s marriage in 1673. The present Alden House was not the original home of John Alden in Duxbury. When John received his original land grant in 1627 (about 100 acres), he selected a house site some 100 yards east of the present location on a "rise of land near Eagletree Pond." It is not known why this particular spot was chosen or even why the house was relocated several decades later to its present site. In fact, it was not until 1960 before the precise location was even discovered.

http://www.alden.org/our_house/

 

Capt. Myles Standish Burying Ground Plaque and 4 Cannon, Duxbury MA1893 — Capt. Myles Standish Burying Ground Plaque and 4 Cannon, Duxbury MA
In 1890 E.J.V. Huiginn, an Episcopal clergyman with an interest in Myles Standish, organized an excavation of what was believed to be the Standish burying site. The remains of a 5’ 7” man, two women, and two young boys were found. They were identified as Myles Standish, daughter Lora (d. bef. Mar 1655), daughter-in-law Mary (Dingley) Standish (d. 1655) (wife of Josias) and Charles (c. 1624 - bef. 1634) and John Standish (d. bef. 1643). In 1893 the town of Duxbury erected the fort-like enclosure around the reinterred remains that had been placed in new coffins. Inscribed boulders mark the graves of Captain Myles, Lora and Mary. Four 32-pounder guns were placed at the corners of the masonry wall with a dozen 8” cannon balls stacked on pillars between the cannon.

1898 — Myles Standish Statue & Monument, Duxbury MA
Taking twenty-six years to complete, this 14' tall granite statue of Captain Myles Standish stands atop a 116' granite column with the Plymouth Colony charter in hand, pointing across the Cape Cod Bay to Provincetown. The monument was funded by the Standish Monument Association.

1930 — John Alden Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury MA
Stone reads: NEAR HERE LYES YE BODY OF / MR. JOHN ALDEN / WHO DIED IN DUXBURY / SEPT YE 12, 1687 AGED NEAR 88 YRS. / ERECTED BY THE ALDEN KINDRED OF AMERICA 1930

1930 — Priscilla Mullins Alden Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury MA
Stone reads: IN MEMORY OF/ MRS PRISCILLA ALDEN / YE WIFE OF JOHN ALDEN / WHO DIED IN DUXBURY / ERECTED BY THE ALDEN KINDRED OF AMERICA 1930

1971 George Soule Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury, MA
“Nearby Rests / GEORGE SOULE / Pilgrim / A signer of / The Mayflower Compact / on Nov. the 11th  1620 / who died in / JANUARY 1679/80 / ERECTED BY SOULE KINDRED / 1971”

America’s Oldest Cemetery Plaque, Duxbury, MA1977 — America’s Oldest Cemetery Plaque, Duxbury, MA
A bronze plaque attached to a boulder in the Myles Standish Burying Ground reads: AMERICA’S OLDEST / MAINTAINED CEMETERY / MYLES STANDISH BURYING GROUND IS THE OLDEST / MAINTAINED CEMETERY IN THE UNITED STATES. / THIS SACRED GROUND HAS BEEN CARED FOR / BY THE TOWN OF DUXBURY, MASSACHUSETTS, / AND TAKES ITS NAME FROM MYLES STANDISH, / MILITARY LEADER OF PLYMOUTH COLONY / WHO WAS INTERRED HERE IN OCTOBER OF 1656. / PLAQUE DEDICATED IN AUGUST 1977, / AS A BICENTENNIAL GIFT TO THE NATION / BY THE AMERICAN CEMETERY ASSOCIATION

2004 Philip Delano Land Grant Marker, Duxbury, MA
Marker on post. Cartouche at top: “DELANO KINDRED / INCORPORATED” surrounding the Delano coat of arms. Main marker: “PHILIP DELANO / (1602 – 1681) / Site of land granted to Philip in / 1637 by the Plymouth Colony Court. / Born in Leiden, a Huguenot, he / came to the Plymouth Colony on / the “Fortune” in 1621. A Purchaser, / he helped repay the Colony’s debts / to English merchants. Well respected, / he became a freeman. The Delano / Family in the Americas descends / from him. / DELANO KINDRED INC. 2004.”

Unknown — Elder William Brewster Cenotaph Monument, Duxbury MA

Massachusetts, Kingston, Plymouth Co.

1900 — Bradford Boulder and Plaque, Kingston, MA
Presented to the Massachusetts State Society from historian and author William T. Davis on behalf of the donors (unnamed).

Pilgrim John Howland's Homestead Site and Plaque, Rocky Nook, Kingston MA1920 — Pilgrim John Howland's Homestead Site and Plaque, Rocky Nook, Kingston MA
The Pilgrim John Howland Society purchased the four acre site of John Howland's homestead where he and his wife Elizabeth lived from 1638-1672/3 and erected a seven foot high granite monument with an image in relief of the Mayflower at its top. The inscription reads: HERE STOOD THE HOME OF JOHN HOWLAND / AND HIS WIFE / ELIZABETH TILLEY HOWLAND FROM 1638 UNTIL HIS DEATH FEBRUARY 2, 1673 / BOTH WERE PASSENGERS IN THE SHIP "MAYFLOWER" / -------- / IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE THIS LAND HAS BEEN BOUGHT / BY THEIR DESCENDANTS, AND THIS MEMORIAL ERECTED / UPON THE 300TH ANNIVERSARY OF THEIR LANDING / AT PLYMOUTH, MASS. / 1620-1920.  In 1937 excavations revealed the foundation, hearth, household utensils, and a tasset (armor thigh plate). In 1949-50 the Howland Society purchased the 23 ½ acre Joseph Howland homestead across the road. In 1959-60 a dig located what are believed to have been the structures of sons Joseph and James in the new acres. The 1959 dig discovered a rare and uncommon spoon from which a mold was made and copies cast. The latest dig was started in 1998 by the University of Virginia and continues, most recently, for a week each August. A model of John Howland's homestead is displayed in the Jabez Howland House.

Joseph Howland Home Site, Rocky Nook, Kingston, MA1968 — Joseph Howland Home Site, Rocky Nook, Kingston, MA
Engraved bolder on opposite side of the road from the site of his father’s house and farm reads: HISTORIC SITE / OF THE 1678 HOME / OF JOSEPH HOWLAND / WHO LIVED HERE UNTIL HIS DEATH / IN 1703/4 / HE WAS THE SON OF JOHN HOWLAND / A PASSENGER ON THE MAYFLOWER / WHO PURCHASED THIS PROPERTY / IN 1638 / ERECTED IN 1963 BY THE / PILGRIM JOHN HOWLAND SOCIETY. Joseph was married to Elizabeth Southworth who died in 1717.

 

 

 

Massachusetts, Chatham, Barnstable Co.

Chatham Lighthouse, Chatham, MassachusettsUnknown — Chatham Lighthouse, Chatham, Massachusetts
“The station was established in 1808, the second light on Cape Cod. To distinguish it from Highland Light, the first Cape Cod light, and to act as a range, twin octagonal 40ft (12m) wooden towers were built. They were on skids so that they could be moved to keep them in line with the entrance channel as it shifted. Samuel Nye was appointed as the first Keeper of the Chatham Lights by President Jefferson on October 7, 1808.

  • 1841 The wood octagons were replaced with 40ft (12m) brick towers
  • 1857 Fourth order Fresnel lenses installed.
  • 1879 Current structures, of brick lined cast iron, were built.
  • 1923 Northern tower of the pair was moved roughly 12 miles north to become Nauset Light.
  • 1939 Chatham Light, which had been kerosene fueled since 1882, became electric.
  • 1969 Fresnel lens was replaced with a Carlisle & Finch DCB-224 rotating light generating over 2.8 million candlepower.
  • 1969 Lantern replaced
  • 1982 Automated, now one of the few lights that operates 24 hours a day.

Today, the former keeper's house is an active U.S. Coast Guard station, and on-duty personnel living quarters. Search and Rescue, maritime law enforcement, and Homeland Security missions are carried out here. Flotilla 11-01 of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary operates from this station.
Chatham Light was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Chatham Light Station on June 15, 1987”

http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/chatham.html