The Pilgrims arrived by boat from Amsterdam in the university town of Leiden on May 1, 1609 and remained here for the next 11 years before departing for the New World.
1865 — Pastor John Robinson's House (Jean Pesijnshof) Memorial Stone, Leiden, Holland
Placed by Henry Martyn Dexter and G. E. Day, this memorial reads: "On this spot lived, taught and died John Robinson, 1611-1625."
1891 — Pastor John Robinson Plaque, Peter's Church, Leiden, Holland
This tablet was erected on the wall of the Peter's Church by the National Council of Congregational Churches in the United States to mark the burial site of March 4, 1625 of the Leiden Pilgrims' Pastor Robinson. At the top, below an image of the Mayflower, the text reads: THE MAYFLOWER, 1620 / IN MEMORY OF / REV. JOHN ROBINSON, M.A., / PASTOR OF THE ENGLISH CHURCH WORSHIPING OVER AGAINST / THIS SPOT. A.D. 1608-1625, WHENCE AT HIS PROMPTING / WENT FORTH / THE PILGRIM FATHERS / TO SETTLE NEW ENGLAND / IN 1620. / BURIED UNDER THIS HOUSE OF WORSHIP, 4 MAR. 1625 / AE XLIX YEARS. / IN MEMORIA AETERNA ERIT JUSTUS. / ERECTED BY THE NATIONAL COUNCIL OF THE CONGREGATIONAL / CHURCHES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA . / A.D.1891
1928 — Pastor John Robinson Memorial Plaque, Peter's Church (Pieterskirk), Leiden, Holland
The General Society spent $500 for this memorial tablet to the Pilgrim's Leiden minister who remained behind to minister to the members of the Separatist congregation who did not leave on the 1620 voyage to New England. Robinson died in 1624. Below an image in color of the Mayflower the text reads: IN MEMORY OF / JOHN ROBINSON / PASTOR OF THE ENGLISH CHURCH IN LEYDEN / 1609 1625 / HIS BROADLY TOLERANT MIND / GUIDED AND DEVELOPED THE RELIGIOUS LIFE OF / THE PILGRIMS OF THE MAYFLOWER / OF HIM THESE WALLS ENSHRINE ALL THAT WAS MORTAL / HIS UNDYING SPIRIT / STILL DOMINATES THE CONSCIENCES OF A MIGHTY NATION / IN THE LAND BEYOND THE SEA / THIS TABLET WAS ERECTED BY THE GENERAL SOCIETY OF MAYFLOWER / DESCENDANTS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A. D. 1928
1955 — William Brewster Alley (William Brewstersteeg) Plaque, Leiden, Holland
The text of the rectangular bronze plaque over the arch at the entrance to the William Brewstersteeg reads: SITE OF THE VICUS CHORALI (OR PILGRIM) PRESS, ON PIETERSKERKKOORSTEEG / (ST. PETER’S CHURCH, CHOIR ALLEY), LEYDEN, NETHERLANDS, IN THE (1609-1620) / HOME OF THE SEPARATIST PILGRIM FATHER, ELDER WILLIAM BREWSTER OF SCROOBY,/ NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, ENGLAND, THE SPIRITUAL LEADER OF PLYMOUTH IN NEW ENGLAND / UNTIL HIS DEATH IN 1643-44. / THE GENERAL SOCIETY OF MAYFLOWER DESCENDANTS (USA, 1897) / WALDO MORGAN ALLEN, GOVERNOR GENERAL / ON THEIR FIRST PILGRIMAGE – 152, BY PLANES – TO THE NETHERLANDS AND ENGLAND / SEPTEMBER 22 - OCTOBER 6, 1955 / 335 YEARS AFTER THE SAILING OF THE MAYFLOWER"
1997 — Leiden American Pilgrim Museum, Leiden, Holland
Initiated with help from the General Society of Mayflower Descendants, the Pilgrim Society and the New England Historic and Genealogical Society, this fifteenth-century house gives an excellent idea of life in Leiden in the Pilgrim times. It presents a comprehensive exhibit about the Pilgrims. A photographic tour of Leiden is included on its website. Its director, Jeremy D. Bangs, PhD, is author of the 2009 chronicle of Pilgrim history, Strangers and Pilgrims, Travellers and Sojourners - Leiden and the Foundations of Plymouth Plantation. Website: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~netlapm).
2004 — Memorial to Pilgrims who died in exile, Pieterskerk, Leiden, Holland
Mounted around the corner to the left of the exterior of Peter’s Church (Pieterskerk) from the Robinson memorial plaque, is this memorial to those adults and children who died during their exile in Leiden. The plaque, suggested by Jeremy D. Bangs, PhD, and erected by the city of Leiden, is highly significant because it begins with a quote from a member of the Separatists that is the earliest known reference to them as “Pilgrims.” Dated 1622 it predates William Bradford’s first use by eight years. The memorial reads: “During the Pilgrims Fathers’ Leiden exile, / more than thirty members died. / Many were buried in the Pieterskerk along with / their Leiden neighbors. / --- / ‘BUT NOW WE ARE ALL, IN ALL PLACES, / STRANGERS AND PILGRIMS, TRAVELERS / AND SOJOURNERS…’ / Robert Cushman, Pilgrim Leader, 1622 / --- / ISAAC ALLERTON’s child – 1620 / JOHN ALLERTON’s child – 1616 / THOMAS BLOSSOM’s children – 1617 / THOMAS BREWER’s wife & children – 1617, 1618 / WILLIAM BRITSMAN’s child – 1612 / EDMUND CHANDLER’s child – 1619 / ROBERT CUSHMAN’s wife and children – 1616 / SAMUEL FULLER’s wife & child – 1615 / EDMUND JESSOP’s child – 1618 / JOHN KEBLE’s child – 1614 / JOHN KEBLE’s widow – 1645 / SAMUEL LEE’s child – 1619 / ROBERT PECK’s child – 1619 / JOHN REYNOLD’s wife & child – 1619 / JOHN ROBINSON’s children – 1618, 1621, 1623 / JOHN ROBINSON – 1625 / JOHN SPOONER – 1628 / JOHN & JANE SPOONER’s child – 1630 / RANDALL THICKENS’s child – 1615”