Follow

The Netherlands, Amsterdam, Holland

In 1608, after their successful second attempt to flee England, the Pilgrims settled in Amsterdam for one year before moving to the south to Leiden.

1909 — Holland Pilgrim Memorial Plaque, The Scottish (English Reformed) Church, Begijnhof, Amsterdam
Placed in memory of Henry Ainsworth (early Separatist leader in Holland), Francis Johnson (early Separatist leader in London and then Emden, Germany), Pastor John Robinson, Elder William Brewster, and Gov. William Bradford by the Chicago Congregational Club. The bronze tablet has six official seals: one in each corner and one centered at top and bottom, and are, top left corner the City of Chicago, top center the seal of Amsterdam, top right Amsterdam coat of arms, bottom right the Dutch royal crest, center bottom the seal of the Chicago Congregational Club, left bottom corner the seal of the State of Illinois. The text reads: ONE : IN : CHRIST / 1609 — FROM SCROOBY · TO · AMSTERDAM — 1909 / AINSWORTH · JOHNSON · ROBINSON · BREWSTER · BRADFORD / BY · A · JOINT · CONSENT · THEY · RESOLVED · TO · GO · INTO · THE · LOW · COUNTRIES / WHERE · THEY · HEARD · WAS · FREEDOM · OF · RELIGION · FOR · ALL · MEN / AND · LIVED · AT · AMSTERDAM / (GOVERNOR · WILLIAM · BRADFORD · HISTORY · OF · PLYMOUTH · PLANTATION) / IN · GRATEFUL · REMEMBRANCE · AND · IN · CHRISTIAN · BROTHERHOOD / THE · CHICAGO · CONGREGATIONAL · CLUB / REAR · THIS · MEMORIAL / A · D · 1909

Unknown — Holland Pilgrim Memorial Stained Glass Window, The Scottish (English Reformed) Church, Begijn Hof, Amsterdam.
This single stained glass window, showing people at prayer upon the deck of a ship with a billowing sail and a windmill in the left background, commemorates the English Separatists, including the Pilgrims, who worshiped in this church. In stained class in the base panel it reads: THEIR PASTOR COMMENDED / THEM WITH MOST FERVENT PRAYERS / TO THE LORD AND HIS BLESSING

Switzerland, Geneva

1917 — International Monument to the Reformation, Geneva, Switzerland
Usually known as the Reformation Wall, is a monument that honors many of the main individuals, events, and documents of the Protestant Reformation by depicting them in statues and bas-reliefs. The Wall is in the grounds of the University of Geneva, which was founded by John Calvin. There are ten statues of Calvinism's main proponents. The four Genevan reformers are flanked by smaller statues of major Protestant figures, bas-reliefs, and inscriptions. Oliver Cromwell is surrounded by The Pilgrim Fathers signing a covenant on the Mayflower.

International Monument to the Reformation, Geneva, Switzerland

South Carolina, Abbeville Co.

Unknown — Selleck Monument Stone, Abbeville, SC
No further information.

Pennsylvania, Valley Forge, Montgomery Co.

1917 — Washington Memorial Chapel Oculus Window, Valley Forge, PA
This window depicts a Pilgrim family of four at table with the words "Freedom from Want."

Rhode Island, Warren, Bristol Co.

Massasoit’s Spring Post Card (1914), Warren, RIUnknown — Tablet, Massasoit’s Spring, Warren, RI
This tablet mounted on a bolder at the west end of Baker Street reads: “THIS TABLET / PLACED BESIDE THE GUSHING WATER / KNOWN FOR MANY GENERATIONS AS / MASSASOIT’S SPRING / COMMEMORATES THE GREAT / INDIAN SACHEM MASSASOIT / ‘FRIEND OF THE WHITE MAN’ / RULER OF THIS REGION WHEN THE / PILGRIMS OF THE MAYFLOWER / LANDED AT PLYMOUTH / IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1620”.  Warren, on the peninsula called Pokanoket (the part now called Mount Hope Neck), is on the site of the Indian village Sowams.

 

 

Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Co.

The Pilgrim Statue Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, PA1904 — The Pilgrim Statue Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, PA
This 9' 1" bronze figure was a reworking by August Saint-Gaudens of his 1887 figure of "The Puritan—Deacon Samuel Chapin" that stands in the Stanford White designed Stearnes Square, Springfield, MA. "The Pilgrim," which is 6" taller than "The Puritan," was commissioned at a cost of $10,000 by the New England Society of Philadelphia. It first stood in City Hall Plaza, Philadelphia, before being relocated in 1920 to that city's Fairmount Park on what was formerly East River Drive (now Kelley Drive) on "Boat House Row," almost across from the Sedgeley Club "lighthouse." In 1998, the Pennsylvania Mayflower Society paid for a replanting of the garden at the statue's base and rededicated the statue with then Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell in attendance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rhode Island, Riverside, Providence Co.

Elizabeth Tilley Howland Memorial Gravestone1949 — Elizabeth Tilley Howland Memorial Gravestone, Little Neck Cemetery, Riverside, RI
The Pilgrim John Howland Society placed a memorial stone on the grave of Elizabeth, the only Pilgrim buried in Rhode Island. The text reads: "Here ended the Pilgrimage of / ELIZABETH TILLEY HOWLAND / who died Wednesday 21-31 / Dec. 1687 at home of her daughter / LYDIA & husband JAMES BROWN  / in Swanzea. ~ ELIZABETH married / Pilgrim JOHN HOWLAND who came / with her in the Mayflower Dec. 1620 / From them descended a / numerous posterity.  / In ELIZABETH'S Will the following / inspiring language is used / ‘It is my will and charge to all my / Children that they walke in ye Feare / of ye Lord, and in Love and Peace / towards each other.’" Historic Little Neck Cemetery is on Little Neck Avenue in Riverside.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oklahoma, Stigler, Haskell Co.

2004 — Mayflower Compact – Ten Commandments Monument, Haskell Co. County Courthouse, Stigler, OK
Following a private $2,500 fund raising drive, an 8’ granite slab monument engraved with the Ten Commandments on one side and the Mayflower Compact on the other was placed on the front lawn of the County Courthouse, with the approval of the county commissioners, on Nov. 5, 2004. The intention was to spread a religious message. Shortly after it was erected The American Civil Liberties Union filed a federal lawsuit saying that the monument was an intrusion of religion into government affairs. Following a 43-page ruling by a U.S. district judge that the placing of the monument did not overstep the constitutional line “demarcating government neutrality towards religion,” a federal appeals court in Denver on June 9, 2009 declared the monument unconstitutional. On Aug. 22, 2009 the federal appeals court denied the commissioners’ request to leave the monument in place until the U.S. Supreme Court decides whether to review the case.

Rhode Island, Providence, Providence Co.

1932 — Tablet, Capitol Building, Providence, RI
A brass tablet in the Capitol is headed by an image of the Mayflower and reads: THE MAYFLOWER / DECEMBER 1620 / THIS TABLET IS PLACED / TO HONOR THE PILGRIMS / OF THE MAYFLOWER / * * * / IN AN AGE / OF INTOLERANCE AND OF / BIGOTRY, THE PILGRIMS / OF THE MAYFLOWER LAID / THE FOUNDATIONS OF THIS / MIGHTY NATION WHEREIN / EVERY MAN, THROUGH / COUNTLESS AGES, SHALL / HAVE LIBERTY TO WORSHIP / GOD IN HIS OWN WAY / ERECTED BY THE SOCIETY OF MAYFLOWER / DESCENDANTS IN THE STATE OF RHODE ISLAND / AUGUST 1932

Ohio, Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co.

1929 — Elder Brewster Stained Glass Window, Euclid Avenue Congregational Church of The United Church of Christ, Cleveland, Ohio
The Reverend Dr. Ferdinand Q. Blanchard, Pastor 1915-1951, conceived the idea of recognizing seven persons by dedicating to each a stained glass window. The windows illustrate epoch-making periods in Christian history. Each person represented made a significant and unique contribution to mankind, breaking with established tradition and blazing, in some way, a new trail. In order, they are Monica, St. Francis, Wycliffe, St. Joan, Tyndal, Columbus, and Elder William Brewster. Of the Brewster window, the booklet describing the windows states: “VII WILLIAM BREWSTER, 1566-1643, was a leader of the Pilgrim’s group to the New World. The Mayflower on which the Pilgrims voyaged is shown in the rear of the central figure, and the signing of the famous Mayflower Compact by the leaders of the Plymouth Church in Provincetown Harbor is shown in the bottom panel. Dedicated in 1929 the artist was R. Toland Wright. He died before the window was completed and his wife finished the window. In Memory of Clara H. Wood.”

Sadly, it appears that the window was destroyed when the church was gutted by a fire in March of 2010.
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/03/euclid_avenue_congregational_c.html

Rhode Island, Bristol, Bristol Co.

2001 — Pokanoket - Pilgrim Treaty Plaque, King Philip's Inn, Bristol, RI
This treaty, according to Mourt's Relation, was executed on 22 March 1621 between the Pilgrims and Massasoit, the great sagamore, sachem or king of the Wampanoag. The treaty held until after Massasoit's death in 1662. A plaque bearing the treaty reads: “POKANOKET – PILGRIM / TREATY / MARCH 22/APRIL 1, 1621 / The treaty of mutual support they negotiated said in part:  / 1. That he nor any of his should do hurt to any / of their people. / 2. That if any of his did hurt any of theirs, he / should send the offender, that they might punish / him. / 3. That if anything were taken away from any / of theirs, he should cause it to be restored; and / they should do the like to him. / 4. If any did unjustly war against him, they / would aid him; if any did war against them, he / should aid them. / 5. He should send to his neighbors confederates / to certify them of this, that they might not wrong / them, but might be likewise compromised in the / conditions of peace. / 6. That when their men came to them, they should / leave their bows and arrows behind them. / 7. That King James would esteem Massasoit as / his friend and ally. / — Of Plimoth Plantation. Wm. Bradford / Presented by the General Society of Mayflower Descendants.” The plaque is in the headquarters of the Pokanoket Tribe.