1904 — The Pilgrim Statue Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, PA
This 9' 1" bronze figure was a reworking by August Saint-Gaudens of his 1887 figure of "The Puritan—Deacon Samuel Chapin" that stands in the Stanford White designed Stearnes Square, Springfield, MA. "The Pilgrim," which is 6" taller than "The Puritan," was commissioned at a cost of $10,000 by the New England Society of Philadelphia. It first stood in City Hall Plaza, Philadelphia, before being relocated in 1920 to that city's Fairmount Park on what was formerly East River Drive (now Kelley Drive) on "Boat House Row," almost across from the Sedgeley Club "lighthouse." In 1998, the Pennsylvania Mayflower Society paid for a replanting of the garden at the statue's base and rededicated the statue with then Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell in attendance.