In 1608, after their successful second attempt to flee England, the Pilgrims settled in Amsterdam for one year before moving to the south to Leiden.
1909 — Holland Pilgrim Memorial Plaque, The Scottish (English Reformed) Church, Begijnhof, Amsterdam
Placed in memory of Henry Ainsworth (early Separatist leader in Holland), Francis Johnson (early Separatist leader in London and then Emden, Germany), Pastor John Robinson, Elder William Brewster, and Gov. William Bradford by the Chicago Congregational Club. The bronze tablet has six official seals: one in each corner and one centered at top and bottom, and are, top left corner the City of Chicago, top center the seal of Amsterdam, top right Amsterdam coat of arms, bottom right the Dutch royal crest, center bottom the seal of the Chicago Congregational Club, left bottom corner the seal of the State of Illinois. The text reads: ONE : IN : CHRIST / 1609 — FROM SCROOBY · TO · AMSTERDAM — 1909 / AINSWORTH · JOHNSON · ROBINSON · BREWSTER · BRADFORD / BY · A · JOINT · CONSENT · THEY · RESOLVED · TO · GO · INTO · THE · LOW · COUNTRIES / WHERE · THEY · HEARD · WAS · FREEDOM · OF · RELIGION · FOR · ALL · MEN / AND · LIVED · AT · AMSTERDAM / (GOVERNOR · WILLIAM · BRADFORD · HISTORY · OF · PLYMOUTH · PLANTATION) / IN · GRATEFUL · REMEMBRANCE · AND · IN · CHRISTIAN · BROTHERHOOD / THE · CHICAGO · CONGREGATIONAL · CLUB / REAR · THIS · MEMORIAL / A · D · 1909
Unknown — Holland Pilgrim Memorial Stained Glass Window, The Scottish (English Reformed) Church, Begijn Hof, Amsterdam.
This single stained glass window, showing people at prayer upon the deck of a ship with a billowing sail and a windmill in the left background, commemorates the English Separatists, including the Pilgrims, who worshiped in this church. In stained class in the base panel it reads: THEIR PASTOR COMMENDED / THEM WITH MOST FERVENT PRAYERS / TO THE LORD AND HIS BLESSING