St. Paul's Episcopal Church Exton
St. Paul's Episcopal Church Exton

This Year’s Annual Thanksgiving Service will be In Exton, PA on Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 2p.m. St. Paul’s Exton is located at 1105 E Lincoln Highway Exton, PA 19341

Join us for our annual Thanksgiving Dinner this year at the Edgmont Country Club on West Chester Pike (Route 3) between Newtown Square and West Chester in the town of Edgemont.

St. Paul’s had its beginnings in 1827, when the Reverend Samuel Brinckle, Rector of Old St. David’s Radnor held a business meeting at Steamboat Tavern with the purpose of establishing a new church. On May 28, 1829 the Church was consecrated by Bishop William White, the first Bishop of Pennsylvania and a founding father of the Episcopal Church in the United States. St. Paul’s is known for its rich tradition of concerns about social issues beyond the Parish. The Chester Valley had been in considerable turmoil over the issue of slavery for years before the Civil War began, due to the very active Underground Railroad station at Exton. Parishioners were deeply involved in disobeying the Fugitive Slave law.

On October 1, 1871, the Vestry closed the church for major repairs. The church reopened in December 1872. The year 1918 was an important year in the life of St. Paul’s, when the Church Farm School purchased land adjoining the church. Thirty five boys from the Church of the Atonement, Philadelphia, together with a group of Girl Scouts who were housed in St. Paul’s Parish Hall, worked at the farm, raising food to help the food crisis of World War I.

In 1984, St. Paul’s was placed on the National Historical Landmark Registry, in recognition of the historical significance of the church. In May 2004, the parish celebrated its 175th Anniversary.

Please come join the SMDPA board as we celebrate another Thanksgiving at a location rich in history and faith.

We encourage everyone to bring canned nonperishable foods for the children to bring forward as a gift.