Two $1,000 scholarships will granted to any graduating high school seniors in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania who are members of, or directly related to an active member of, the Pennsylvania Society of Mayflower Descendants and who has been accepted by an accredited college or university. The scholarship award, which is to be used only for college-related needs, will be paid to the college or university for the student.
To be considered for this scholarship, the applicant must provide the following:
1. The applicant must completely fill out the application form and provide the required documents. The application can be downloaded from the sail1620.org website.
2. Transcript of high school grades and verification of class size and class rank or class standing by the school counselor on school letterhead.
3. Verification of acceptance by an accredited college or university.
4. An essay of five hundred words or more on the given topic for the year.
5. Essays must be post marked by the listed deadline.
Essays will be judged on the following criteria: Adherence to the topic, Organization, Historical Accuracy, Reasoning, Appropriate Word Choice, Correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation. The essay of the winning applicant becomes the property of the SMDPA and may be published in the Society's newsletter. An applicant's entry with supporting documents must be mailed to the Education/Scholarship Chair at the address listed on the Application.
Click here to download the application. [PDF 346KB]