1670s — Alden House Historic Site, Duxbury, MA
The first part was probably built for Pilgrim John Alden’s son Jonathan after the son’s marriage in 1673. The present Alden House was not the original home of John Alden in Duxbury. When John received his original land grant in 1627 (about 100 acres), he selected a house site some 100 yards east of the present location on a "rise of land near Eagletree Pond." It is not known why this particular spot was chosen or even why the house was relocated several decades later to its present site. In fact, it was not until 1960 before the precise location was even discovered.
1893 — Capt. Myles Standish Burying Ground Plaque and 4 Cannon, Duxbury MA
In 1890 E.J.V. Huiginn, an Episcopal clergyman with an interest in Myles Standish, organized an excavation of what was believed to be the Standish burying site. The remains of a 5’ 7” man, two women, and two young boys were found. They were identified as Myles Standish, daughter Lora (d. bef. Mar 1655), daughter-in-law Mary (Dingley) Standish (d. 1655) (wife of Josias) and Charles (c. 1624 - bef. 1634) and John Standish (d. bef. 1643). In 1893 the town of Duxbury erected the fort-like enclosure around the reinterred remains that had been placed in new coffins. Inscribed boulders mark the graves of Captain Myles, Lora and Mary. Four 32-pounder guns were placed at the corners of the masonry wall with a dozen 8” cannon balls stacked on pillars between the cannon.
1898 — Myles Standish Statue & Monument, Duxbury MA
Taking twenty-six years to complete, this 14' tall granite statue of Captain Myles Standish stands atop a 116' granite column with the Plymouth Colony charter in hand, pointing across the Cape Cod Bay to Provincetown. The monument was funded by the Standish Monument Association.
1930 — John Alden Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury MA
Stone reads: NEAR HERE LYES YE BODY OF / MR. JOHN ALDEN / WHO DIED IN DUXBURY / SEPT YE 12, 1687 AGED NEAR 88 YRS. / ERECTED BY THE ALDEN KINDRED OF AMERICA 1930
1930 — Priscilla Mullins Alden Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury MA
Stone reads: IN MEMORY OF/ MRS PRISCILLA ALDEN / YE WIFE OF JOHN ALDEN / WHO DIED IN DUXBURY / ERECTED BY THE ALDEN KINDRED OF AMERICA 1930
1971— George Soule Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury, MA
“Nearby Rests / GEORGE SOULE / Pilgrim / A signer of / The Mayflower Compact / on Nov. the 11th 1620 / who died in / JANUARY 1679/80 / ERECTED BY SOULE KINDRED / 1971”
1977 — America’s Oldest Cemetery Plaque, Duxbury, MA
A bronze plaque attached to a boulder in the Myles Standish Burying Ground reads: AMERICA’S OLDEST / MAINTAINED CEMETERY / MYLES STANDISH BURYING GROUND IS THE OLDEST / MAINTAINED CEMETERY IN THE UNITED STATES. / THIS SACRED GROUND HAS BEEN CARED FOR / BY THE TOWN OF DUXBURY, MASSACHUSETTS, / AND TAKES ITS NAME FROM MYLES STANDISH, / MILITARY LEADER OF PLYMOUTH COLONY / WHO WAS INTERRED HERE IN OCTOBER OF 1656. / PLAQUE DEDICATED IN AUGUST 1977, / AS A BICENTENNIAL GIFT TO THE NATION / BY THE AMERICAN CEMETERY ASSOCIATION
2004— Philip Delano Land Grant Marker, Duxbury, MA
Marker on post. Cartouche at top: “DELANO KINDRED / INCORPORATED” surrounding the Delano coat of arms. Main marker: “PHILIP DELANO / (1602 – 1681) / Site of land granted to Philip in / 1637 by the Plymouth Colony Court. / Born in Leiden, a Huguenot, he / came to the Plymouth Colony on / the “Fortune” in 1621. A Purchaser, / he helped repay the Colony’s debts / to English merchants. Well respected, / he became a freeman. The Delano / Family in the Americas descends / from him. / DELANO KINDRED INC. 2004.”
Unknown — Elder William Brewster Cenotaph Monument, Duxbury MA