Follow

Myles Standish

  • Are you planning on traveling to England this summer? If so, this is a list of where some of our Pilgrim ancestors lived.

  • Who Do You Think You Are?What do Marilyn Monroe, George Bush and Dr. Spock have in common? Possibly you. Visit our distinguished descendants gallery to learn who your famous cousins are. You may be surprised to discover who you have common genes with.

  •  Marriage Pilgrim Style & The Pilgrim ChurchThe 1627 Plimoth Plantation presented a recreation of a Pilgrim wedding ceremony on August 14, 2010. They chose to go back to the year 1623 when Governor William Bradford, whose wife Dorothy May had drowned shortly after the arrival of the Mayflower in 1620, married Elizabeth Carpenter, the widow Southworth.

  • Alden House Historic Site, Duxbury, MA1670s — Alden House Historic Site, Duxbury, MA
    The first part was probably built for Pilgrim John Alden’s son Jonathan after the son’s marriage in 1673. The present Alden House was not the original home of John Alden in Duxbury. When John received his original land grant in 1627 (about 100 acres), he selected a house site some 100 yards east of the present location on a "rise of land near Eagletree Pond." It is not known why this particular spot was chosen or even why the house was relocated several decades later to its present site. In fact, it was not until 1960 before the precise location was even discovered.

    http://www.alden.org/our_house/

     

    Capt. Myles Standish Burying Ground Plaque and 4 Cannon, Duxbury MA1893 — Capt. Myles Standish Burying Ground Plaque and 4 Cannon, Duxbury MA
    In 1890 E.J.V. Huiginn, an Episcopal clergyman with an interest in Myles Standish, organized an excavation of what was believed to be the Standish burying site. The remains of a 5’ 7” man, two women, and two young boys were found. They were identified as Myles Standish, daughter Lora (d. bef. Mar 1655), daughter-in-law Mary (Dingley) Standish (d. 1655) (wife of Josias) and Charles (c. 1624 - bef. 1634) and John Standish (d. bef. 1643). In 1893 the town of Duxbury erected the fort-like enclosure around the reinterred remains that had been placed in new coffins. Inscribed boulders mark the graves of Captain Myles, Lora and Mary. Four 32-pounder guns were placed at the corners of the masonry wall with a dozen 8” cannon balls stacked on pillars between the cannon.

    1898 — Myles Standish Statue & Monument, Duxbury MA
    Taking twenty-six years to complete, this 14' tall granite statue of Captain Myles Standish stands atop a 116' granite column with the Plymouth Colony charter in hand, pointing across the Cape Cod Bay to Provincetown. The monument was funded by the Standish Monument Association.

    1930 — John Alden Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury MA
    Stone reads: NEAR HERE LYES YE BODY OF / MR. JOHN ALDEN / WHO DIED IN DUXBURY / SEPT YE 12, 1687 AGED NEAR 88 YRS. / ERECTED BY THE ALDEN KINDRED OF AMERICA 1930

    1930 — Priscilla Mullins Alden Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury MA
    Stone reads: IN MEMORY OF/ MRS PRISCILLA ALDEN / YE WIFE OF JOHN ALDEN / WHO DIED IN DUXBURY / ERECTED BY THE ALDEN KINDRED OF AMERICA 1930

    1971 George Soule Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury, MA
    “Nearby Rests / GEORGE SOULE / Pilgrim / A signer of / The Mayflower Compact / on Nov. the 11th  1620 / who died in / JANUARY 1679/80 / ERECTED BY SOULE KINDRED / 1971”

    America’s Oldest Cemetery Plaque, Duxbury, MA1977 — America’s Oldest Cemetery Plaque, Duxbury, MA
    A bronze plaque attached to a boulder in the Myles Standish Burying Ground reads: AMERICA’S OLDEST / MAINTAINED CEMETERY / MYLES STANDISH BURYING GROUND IS THE OLDEST / MAINTAINED CEMETERY IN THE UNITED STATES. / THIS SACRED GROUND HAS BEEN CARED FOR / BY THE TOWN OF DUXBURY, MASSACHUSETTS, / AND TAKES ITS NAME FROM MYLES STANDISH, / MILITARY LEADER OF PLYMOUTH COLONY / WHO WAS INTERRED HERE IN OCTOBER OF 1656. / PLAQUE DEDICATED IN AUGUST 1977, / AS A BICENTENNIAL GIFT TO THE NATION / BY THE AMERICAN CEMETERY ASSOCIATION

    2004 Philip Delano Land Grant Marker, Duxbury, MA
    Marker on post. Cartouche at top: “DELANO KINDRED / INCORPORATED” surrounding the Delano coat of arms. Main marker: “PHILIP DELANO / (1602 – 1681) / Site of land granted to Philip in / 1637 by the Plymouth Colony Court. / Born in Leiden, a Huguenot, he / came to the Plymouth Colony on / the “Fortune” in 1621. A Purchaser, / he helped repay the Colony’s debts / to English merchants. Well respected, / he became a freeman. The Delano / Family in the Americas descends / from him. / DELANO KINDRED INC. 2004.”

    Unknown — Elder William Brewster Cenotaph Monument, Duxbury MA

  • First Encounter Beach Stone and Plaque, Eastham, MA1920 — First Encounter Beach Stone and Plaque, Eastham, MA
    Up on a knoll at the north end of the beach is a boulder with an attached bronze plaque having a relief bust profile with helmet facing to the right (perhaps of Myles Standish) centered between scrolls at the top, that reads: ON THIS SPOT / HOSTILE INDIANS / HAD THEIR / FIRST ENCOUNTER / DECEMBER 8, 1620 / OLD STYLE / WITH / MYLES STANDISH  JOHN CARVER / WILLIAM BRADFORD  JOHN TILLEY / EDWARD WINSLOW  JOHN HOWLAND  / EDWARD TILLEY  RICHARD WARREN / STEPHEN HOPKINS  EDWARD DOTEY / JOHN ALLERTON  THOMAS ENGLISH / MASTER MATE CLARK  MASTER / GUNNER COPIN / AND THREE SAILORS / OF THE MAYFLOWER COMPANY / PROVINCETOWN TERCENTARY / 1620 COMMISSION 1920. See the 2001 entry for the more recent marker on the beach near the parking lot.

    1966 — Lt. Joseph Rogers Boulder and Plaque, Cove Cemetery, Eastham MA
    Joseph accompanied his father, Pilgrim Thomas Rogers, on the Mayflower. Placed by his Descendants.

    1966 — Constance Hopkins Snow Boulder and Plaque, Cove Cemetery, Eastham MA
    Constance, who came on the Mayflower, was a daughter of Pilgrim Stephen Hopkins. She married Nicholas Snow who came on the Anne. Placed by her Descendants.

    1966 — Giles Hopkins Boulder and Plaque, Cove Cemetery, Eastham MA
    Giles, who died in 1690, was a son of Pilgrim Stephen Hopkins. The plaque reads “GILES HOPKINS / 1607 – 1690 / MAYFLOWER PASSENGER / PLACED BY HIS DESCENDANTS / 1966”.

    2001 — First Encounter Beach Plaque, Eastham MA
    In early December 1620 while exploring the beach north of the mouth of Herring River in present Eastham on the Bay of Cape Cod to decide were to establish their settlement, "they heard a great and strange cry, which they knew to be the same voices in the night... and one of their company being abroad came running in and cried, 'Men, Indians! Indians!' And withal, their arrows came flying amongst them.' " A bronze tablet mounted on the beach reads: NEAR THIS SITE / THE NAUSET TRIBE / OF THE / WAMPANOAG NATION / SEEKING TO PROTECT THEMSELVES / AND THEIR CULTURE / HAD THEIR / FIRST ENCOUNTER / 8 DECEMBER 1620 / WITH / MYLES STANDISH, JOHN CARVER, / EDWARD WINSLOW, JOHN TILLEY, / EDWARD TILLEY, / JOHN HOWLAND, RICHARD WARREN, / STEPHEN HOPKINS, / EDWARD DOTEY, JOHN ALLERTON, / THOMAS ENGLISH, / MASTER MATE CLARK, / MASTER GUNNER COPIN, / AND THREE SAILORS / OF THE MAYFLOWER COMPANY / THIS TABLET PLACED 2001 BY THE SOCIETY OF COLONIAL WARS / IN THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS.

  • A full list of all of the Pilgrim related sites to see in Plymouth.

  • Corn Hill Monument, Truro, MA1898 — Pilgrim Spring and Corn Hill Plaques, Truro, MA
    Having arrived in Cape Cod Bay, it was here that the Pilgrims drank their first fresh water and discovered a buried cache of Indian corn which provided their first food ashore. The General Society of Mayflower Descendants placed a granite marker commemorating the event atop Corn Hill that reads “Corn Hill – 1620”. In 1900 the Society was deeded all rights to hold in trust of the 50’ x 50’ piece of land.

    1920 Corn Hill Monument, Truro, MA
    A large monument erected to commemorate the 1620 tercentenary is located at the bottom of the hill. The bronze plaque inscribed “ SIXTEEN PILGRIMS / LED BY / MYLES STANDISH  WILLIAM BRADFORD / STEPHEN HOPKINS AND EDWARD TILLEY / FOUND THE PRECIOUS INDIAN CORN / ON THIS SPOT WHICH THEY CALLED / CORN HILL / NOVEMBER 16, 1620 / ---- / AND SURE IT WAS GOD'S GOOD PROVIDENCE / THAT WE FOUND THIS CORN FOR ELSE WE / WOULD NOT KNOW HOW WE SHOULD HAVE DONE." The taking of the corn by the Pilgrims has led to modern day charges that they stole it and never made restitution to the Indians, a myth that has been disproven by the writings of a prime source, Pilgrim Edward Winslow. Next to the monument is another monument commemorating the longest free flight made August 18, 1929 from Corn Hill lasting 15 minutes and six seconds, surpassing that of Orville Wright at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.

  • Am I a Mayflower Descendant?
    For those of you who are curious about whether or not you may be descended from a Mayflower passenger please see our List of Mayflower Passengers and Genealogies Links below. The surnames found in the first three generations after landing are also included.

  • A brief overview of Captain Myles Standish.

  • Far more attention has been given to speculation about where Myles Standish was born than to consideration of his military experiences in the Low Countries before his emigration on the "Mayflower" to New England. Yet it is rarely remarked that the answer to the unresolved question of his birthplace has no demonstrable bearing on what is known of Standish's post-natal career or of his interaction with other Pilgrims and their acquaintances.

  • Pilgrim TradesOur Mayflower ancestors were not of “royal blood.” For the most part, they were what we now would call “middle class” people who had to work for a living. Of the 58 male passengers, both men and boys, the trades or occupations of only 32 are known.

  • The Truth About Priscilla, Spinning in Early Plymouth ColonyWhen Longfellow imagined the John Alden-Priscilla Mullins-Miles Standish love triangle, he depicted Priscilla spinning as Alden arrived to offer Standish’s marriage proposal. The image of a spinning maiden is an old one, and both in the time of the Pilgrims (early 1600s) and in Longfellow’s day (mid-1800s) this image was shorthand for female industry and piety as well as domestic tranquility. Longfellow was undoubtedly invoking that symbolism when he chose spinning as Priscilla’s activity, but do the historical facts support that choice?