Follow

William Brewster

  • Ancestral Pilgrim Homes

    Are you planning on traveling to England this summer? If so, this is a list of where some of our Pilgrim ancestors lived.

  • Comparing Plymouth and Jamestown

    Comparing Plymouth and JamestownPilgrim families arrived in Holland in the spring of 1608 and in Plymouth in December 1620. In May 1607, 105 men arrived in Jamestown to establish the first permanent English settlement in North America. While the individuals in both settlements were English, the they were different in many important ways. To fully appreciate our Pilgrim heritage, it is important to understand the differences between Plymouth and Jamestown. This essay identifies major differences and explains how these differences affected the settlements during the first few decades of their arrival.

  • Connecticut, Preston, New London Co.

    Jonathan Brewster's grave in Brewster's Neck Cemetery, Preston, CTUnknown — Jonathan Brewster' s grave in Brewster's Neck Cemetery, Preston, CT
    Jonathan (b. 1593 in Scrooby) was a son of Pilgrim William Brewster. He died in 1659. A bronze plaque was placed by the Colonial Dames of the 17th Century. This came about after permission was granted Mrs. Emory G. Hyatt, John Plumb Chapter, his descendent, by the Brewster Cemetery Association and the Connecticut Mayflower Society.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

  • Distinguished Mayflower Descendants

    Who Do You Think You Are?What do Marilyn Monroe, George Bush and Dr. Spock have in common? Possibly you. Visit our distinguished descendants gallery to learn who your famous cousins are. You may be surprised to discover who you have common genes with.

  • Elder William Brewster Society

    Organized by the descendants of this Mayflower Pilgrim to celebrate the life of William Brewster who came to America in 1620 on the Mayflower.

  • England, Boston, Lincolnshire

    Plaque, Guildhall, Boston, EnglandUnknown — Plaque, Guildhall, Boston, England
    Two plaques. One depicts the trial of the Pilgrim Fathers in the Boston Guildhall following their first and unsuccessful attempt to flee England for Holland in 1607. The second reads: “IN THESE CELLS / WILLIAM BRADFORD  WILLIAM BREWSTER / and others afterwards known as / THE PILGRIM FATHERS / WERE IMPRISONED / on 23rd September 1607 / after attempting to escape to / religious freedom.” The women and children were released and the men tried and eventually released. They had sold all their homes and possessions. They successfully escaped the following year.

    1955 — Plaque, Guildhall, Boston, England
    Plaque with may flowers in the four corners and an image of the ship Mayflower beneath which appears “THE GENERAL SOCIETY OF MAYFLOWER DESCENDANTS (USA, 1897) / WALDO MORGAN ALLEN, GOVERNOR GENERAL / ON THEIR FIRST PILGRIMAGE – 152, BY PLANES – TO THE NETHERLANDS AND ENGLAND / SEPTEMBER 22 - OCTOBER 6, 1955 / 335 YEARS AFTER THE SAILING OF THE MAYFLOWER"

  • England, Retford, Nottinghamshire

    William Brewster Wax Figure, Bassetlaw Museum2006 — William Brewster Wax Figure, Bassetlaw Museum, Retford, England
    A life sized wax figure in 17th century garb sits on a chair in a glass enclosure with identifying labels.

     

     

     

     

     

     

  • England, Scrooby, Nottinghamshire

    Scrooby Manor Bronze Plaque, Scrooby, England1844 — Scrooby Manor Bronze Plaque, Scrooby, England
    The Pilgrim Society erected a plaque that reads: “THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY THE / PILGRIM SOCIETY OF PLYMOUTH / MASSACHUSETTS, UNITED STATES OF / AMERICA, TO MARK THE SITE OF THE / ANCIENT MANOR HOUSE, WHERE LIVED / WILLIAM BREWSTER / FROM 1588 TO 1606, AND WHERE HE / ORGANIZED THE PILGRIM CHURCH, OF / WHICH HE BECAME ELDER, AND / WITH WHICH, IN 1608, HE REMOVED TO / AMSTERDAM, IN 1609 TO LEYDEN, AND IN / 1620 TO PLYMOUTH, WHERE HE DIED / APRIL 16, 1644.” See below for the 1920 plaque.

    1905 — Scrooby Manor (Pilgrim Homestead), Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England
    The General Society of Mayflower Descendants began efforts to purchase this property where Elder William Brewster once lived and where he conducted nonconformist religious services. Plans were abandoned in 1908.

    1920 Scrooby Manor Bronze Plaque, Scrooby, England
    A bronze plaque commemorating the 300th anniversary of the Mayflower was erected which reads: “ ON THE THREE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY / OF THE SAILING OF THE MAYFLOWER / WITH THE PILGRIM FATHERS TO NEW / ENGLAND, THIS TABLET WAS UNVEILED / BY THE REPRESENTATIVES OF THE / ANGLO-AMERICAN SOCIETY, IN / COMMEMORATION OF THE HEROIC VIRTUES / OF THE LITTLE BAND OF LOVERS OF / TRUTH AND FREEDOM WHICH FIRST MET / IN THIS PLACE. / SEPTEMBER 2 1920.”

    1948 — St. Wilfrid’s Church, Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England
    Pilgrim William Brewster first preached here in 1598. The General Society of Mayflower Descendants solicited contributions towards repairs of wartime damage to the church.

    Scrooby Manor (Pilgrim Homestead), Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England

  • Marriage Pilgrim Style & The Pilgrim Church

     Marriage Pilgrim Style & The Pilgrim ChurchThe 1627 Plimoth Plantation presented a recreation of a Pilgrim wedding ceremony on August 14, 2010. They chose to go back to the year 1623 when Governor William Bradford, whose wife Dorothy May had drowned shortly after the arrival of the Mayflower in 1620, married Elizabeth Carpenter, the widow Southworth.

  • Massachusetts, Boston, Suffolk Co.

    Mary Chilton and John Winslow Tablet, King’s Chapel Burial Ground, Boston, MA1901 — Mary Chilton and John Winslow Tablet, King’s Chapel Burial Ground, Boston, MA
    A tablet on the fence of the burial ground reads: KING’S CHAPEL BURIAL GROUND / 1630 / HERE WERE BURIED / JACOB SHEAFE 1658, JOHN WINSLOW 1674 / MARY CHILTON 1679, / A PASSENGER IN THE MAYFLOWER / AND WIFE OF JOHN WINSLOW. / MAJOR THOMAS SAVAGE 1682 / LADY ANDROS 1688, / CAPTAIN ROGER CLAP 1690, THOMAS BRATTLE 1713, / PROFESSOR JOHN WINTHROP 1776, / JAMES LLOYD 1831, CHARLES BULFINCH 1844. / ---------- / WILLIAM DAWES, JR. / PATRIOT AN SON OF LIBERTY / APRIL 6 1745 – FEBRUARY 23 1799. / THIS TABLET PLACED BY THE CITY 1901

    1920 — Mary Chilton and John Winslow House Site Tablet, Boston, MA
    A bronze tablet marks the house site on Spring Lane, Boston, of John and Mary Chilton Winslow. The arched top tablet, with an image of the Mayflower bordered in “rope” in the arch, reads: 1620  1920 / MARY CHILTON / THE ONLY MAYFLOWER PASSENGER / WHO REMOVED FROM PLYMOUTH TO BOSTON / DIED HERE IN 1679 / JOHN WINSLOW AND MARY CHILTON / WERE MARRIED AT PLYMOUTH ABOUT 1624 / CAME TO BOSTON ABOUT 1657 / AND BOUGHT A HOUSE ON THIS SITE IN 1671 / JOHN WINSLOW DIED HERE IN 1674 / AS A PASSENGER ON THE MAYLFOWER IN 1620 / MARY CHILTON CAME TO AMERICA / BEFORE ANY OTHER WHITE WOMAN / WHO SETTLED IN BOSTON / THIS MEMORIAL ERECTED BY THE / MASSACHUSETTS SOCIETY OF / MAYFLOWER DESCENDANTS / JOHN BERNARD SCULPTER 1920

    1998 — The Brewster Islands Plaque, Boston Harbor, MA
    This plaque was a joint effort of the General Society and the Elder William Brewster Society. The text [only the case of the first 3 words  and line sequence are given here as on the plaque] reads: “THE BREWSTER ISLANDS / as you look out into Boston Harbor, about a mile and a half directly to the front, you will see the four Brewster Islands. They are, from left to right, Great Brewster, Middle Brewster, Little Brewster (with the Boston Light on it), and Outer Brewster. All were named in September 1621 by members of a Pilgrim Expedition, led by Miles Standish, which had sailed up from Plymouth in a shallop to explore the area. The four islands were named to honor Elder William Brewster, the patriarch and ruling elder from 1609 until his death in 1644. Elder Brewster dedicated his life to members of the Pilgrim Group.”

    John and Mary Chilton Winslow Grave Stone, Old King's Chapel Burying Ground, Boston MAUnknown — John and Mary Chilton Winslow Grave Stone, Old King's Chapel Burying Ground, Boston MA
    John Winslow, who came on the Fortune, was a brother of Pilgrim Edward Winslow. He married Mary, a daughter of Pilgrims James and Susanna Chilton. King's Chapel is a Unitarian church in Boston, Massachusetts, located at the corner of Tremont Street and School Street. Its burying ground is the oldest in Boston. This small modern arched top stone at the foot of a raised flat topped tomb reads: JOHN WINSLOW / PASSENGER ON THE FORTUNE / MARY CHILTON / PASSENGER ON THE MAYFLOWER

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

  • Massachusetts, Duxbury, Plymouth Co.

    Alden House Historic Site, Duxbury, MA1670s — Alden House Historic Site, Duxbury, MA
    The first part was probably built for Pilgrim John Alden’s son Jonathan after the son’s marriage in 1673. The present Alden House was not the original home of John Alden in Duxbury. When John received his original land grant in 1627 (about 100 acres), he selected a house site some 100 yards east of the present location on a "rise of land near Eagletree Pond." It is not known why this particular spot was chosen or even why the house was relocated several decades later to its present site. In fact, it was not until 1960 before the precise location was even discovered.

    http://www.alden.org/our_house/

     

    Capt. Myles Standish Burying Ground Plaque and 4 Cannon, Duxbury MA1893 — Capt. Myles Standish Burying Ground Plaque and 4 Cannon, Duxbury MA
    In 1890 E.J.V. Huiginn, an Episcopal clergyman with an interest in Myles Standish, organized an excavation of what was believed to be the Standish burying site. The remains of a 5’ 7” man, two women, and two young boys were found. They were identified as Myles Standish, daughter Lora (d. bef. Mar 1655), daughter-in-law Mary (Dingley) Standish (d. 1655) (wife of Josias) and Charles (c. 1624 - bef. 1634) and John Standish (d. bef. 1643). In 1893 the town of Duxbury erected the fort-like enclosure around the reinterred remains that had been placed in new coffins. Inscribed boulders mark the graves of Captain Myles, Lora and Mary. Four 32-pounder guns were placed at the corners of the masonry wall with a dozen 8” cannon balls stacked on pillars between the cannon.

    1898 — Myles Standish Statue & Monument, Duxbury MA
    Taking twenty-six years to complete, this 14' tall granite statue of Captain Myles Standish stands atop a 116' granite column with the Plymouth Colony charter in hand, pointing across the Cape Cod Bay to Provincetown. The monument was funded by the Standish Monument Association.

    1930 — John Alden Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury MA
    Stone reads: NEAR HERE LYES YE BODY OF / MR. JOHN ALDEN / WHO DIED IN DUXBURY / SEPT YE 12, 1687 AGED NEAR 88 YRS. / ERECTED BY THE ALDEN KINDRED OF AMERICA 1930

    1930 — Priscilla Mullins Alden Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury MA
    Stone reads: IN MEMORY OF/ MRS PRISCILLA ALDEN / YE WIFE OF JOHN ALDEN / WHO DIED IN DUXBURY / ERECTED BY THE ALDEN KINDRED OF AMERICA 1930

    1971 George Soule Memorial Stone, Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury, MA
    “Nearby Rests / GEORGE SOULE / Pilgrim / A signer of / The Mayflower Compact / on Nov. the 11th  1620 / who died in / JANUARY 1679/80 / ERECTED BY SOULE KINDRED / 1971”

    America’s Oldest Cemetery Plaque, Duxbury, MA1977 — America’s Oldest Cemetery Plaque, Duxbury, MA
    A bronze plaque attached to a boulder in the Myles Standish Burying Ground reads: AMERICA’S OLDEST / MAINTAINED CEMETERY / MYLES STANDISH BURYING GROUND IS THE OLDEST / MAINTAINED CEMETERY IN THE UNITED STATES. / THIS SACRED GROUND HAS BEEN CARED FOR / BY THE TOWN OF DUXBURY, MASSACHUSETTS, / AND TAKES ITS NAME FROM MYLES STANDISH, / MILITARY LEADER OF PLYMOUTH COLONY / WHO WAS INTERRED HERE IN OCTOBER OF 1656. / PLAQUE DEDICATED IN AUGUST 1977, / AS A BICENTENNIAL GIFT TO THE NATION / BY THE AMERICAN CEMETERY ASSOCIATION

    2004 Philip Delano Land Grant Marker, Duxbury, MA
    Marker on post. Cartouche at top: “DELANO KINDRED / INCORPORATED” surrounding the Delano coat of arms. Main marker: “PHILIP DELANO / (1602 – 1681) / Site of land granted to Philip in / 1637 by the Plymouth Colony Court. / Born in Leiden, a Huguenot, he / came to the Plymouth Colony on / the “Fortune” in 1621. A Purchaser, / he helped repay the Colony’s debts / to English merchants. Well respected, / he became a freeman. The Delano / Family in the Americas descends / from him. / DELANO KINDRED INC. 2004.”

    Unknown — Elder William Brewster Cenotaph Monument, Duxbury MA

  • Massachusetts, Plymouth, Plymouth Co.

    A full list of all of the Pilgrim related sites to see in Plymouth.

  • Mayflower Passenger List

    Am I a Mayflower Descendant?
    For those of you who are curious about whether or not you may be descended from a Mayflower passenger please see our List of Mayflower Passengers and Genealogies Links below. The surnames found in the first three generations after landing are also included.

  • New Jersey, Cape May Court House, Cape May Co.

    Unknown — Cape May Co. Historical Society, Cape May Court House, NJ
    Contains in its collection a large framed print of P.F. Rothermel’s Landing of the Pilgrims, a gavel block made from a barn beam of Scrooby Manor, England, where Elder Brewster lived, and a gavel block made from a beam from the Jabez Howland House in Plymouth, MA.

  • Ohio, Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co.

    1929 — Elder Brewster Stained Glass Window, Euclid Avenue Congregational Church of The United Church of Christ, Cleveland, Ohio
    The Reverend Dr. Ferdinand Q. Blanchard, Pastor 1915-1951, conceived the idea of recognizing seven persons by dedicating to each a stained glass window. The windows illustrate epoch-making periods in Christian history. Each person represented made a significant and unique contribution to mankind, breaking with established tradition and blazing, in some way, a new trail. In order, they are Monica, St. Francis, Wycliffe, St. Joan, Tyndal, Columbus, and Elder William Brewster. Of the Brewster window, the booklet describing the windows states: “VII WILLIAM BREWSTER, 1566-1643, was a leader of the Pilgrim’s group to the New World. The Mayflower on which the Pilgrims voyaged is shown in the rear of the central figure, and the signing of the famous Mayflower Compact by the leaders of the Plymouth Church in Provincetown Harbor is shown in the bottom panel. Dedicated in 1929 the artist was R. Toland Wright. He died before the window was completed and his wife finished the window. In Memory of Clara H. Wood.”

    Sadly, it appears that the window was destroyed when the church was gutted by a fire in March of 2010.
    http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/03/euclid_avenue_congregational_c.html

  • Pilgrim Trades

    Pilgrim TradesOur Mayflower ancestors were not of “royal blood.” For the most part, they were what we now would call “middle class” people who had to work for a living. Of the 58 male passengers, both men and boys, the trades or occupations of only 32 are known.

  • The Netherlands, Amsterdam, Holland

    In 1608, after their successful second attempt to flee England, the Pilgrims settled in Amsterdam for one year before moving to the south to Leiden.

    1909 — Holland Pilgrim Memorial Plaque, The Scottish (English Reformed) Church, Begijnhof, Amsterdam
    Placed in memory of Henry Ainsworth (early Separatist leader in Holland), Francis Johnson (early Separatist leader in London and then Emden, Germany), Pastor John Robinson, Elder William Brewster, and Gov. William Bradford by the Chicago Congregational Club. The bronze tablet has six official seals: one in each corner and one centered at top and bottom, and are, top left corner the City of Chicago, top center the seal of Amsterdam, top right Amsterdam coat of arms, bottom right the Dutch royal crest, center bottom the seal of the Chicago Congregational Club, left bottom corner the seal of the State of Illinois. The text reads: ONE : IN : CHRIST / 1609 — FROM SCROOBY · TO · AMSTERDAM — 1909 / AINSWORTH · JOHNSON · ROBINSON · BREWSTER · BRADFORD / BY · A · JOINT · CONSENT · THEY · RESOLVED · TO · GO · INTO · THE · LOW · COUNTRIES / WHERE · THEY · HEARD · WAS · FREEDOM · OF · RELIGION · FOR · ALL · MEN / AND · LIVED · AT · AMSTERDAM / (GOVERNOR · WILLIAM · BRADFORD · HISTORY · OF · PLYMOUTH · PLANTATION) / IN · GRATEFUL · REMEMBRANCE · AND · IN · CHRISTIAN · BROTHERHOOD / THE · CHICAGO · CONGREGATIONAL · CLUB / REAR · THIS · MEMORIAL / A · D · 1909

    Unknown — Holland Pilgrim Memorial Stained Glass Window, The Scottish (English Reformed) Church, Begijn Hof, Amsterdam.
    This single stained glass window, showing people at prayer upon the deck of a ship with a billowing sail and a windmill in the left background, commemorates the English Separatists, including the Pilgrims, who worshiped in this church. In stained class in the base panel it reads: THEIR PASTOR COMMENDED / THEM WITH MOST FERVENT PRAYERS / TO THE LORD AND HIS BLESSING

  • The Netherlands, Leiden, Holland

    A full list of Pilgrim related sites to see in Leiden, Holland.

  • The Wright Brothers and William Brewster

    The Wright Brothers and William BrewsterWilliam and Mary Brewster arrived on the Mayflower, their daughter Patience arrived on the Anne in 1623. Thomas Prence arrived on the Fortune in 1621. Prence was elected Governor in 1634, Assistant Governor in 1635 and after Bradford died in 1657 Prence served as Governor until the end of his life. Rebecca Prence, daughter of Thomas Prence, was the first wife of Edmond Freeman III. After Rebecca died, Edmond married Margaret Perry. Their son, Edmond Freeman IV, was the ancestor of the Wright brothers. Thus the Wright brothers are...

  • William Brewster

    A brief overview of William Brewster.